The Thapathali area in Kathmandu has changed significantly over time. Thapathali means abode of the Thapas as the area was home to the Thapathali Durbar palace complex (current Singha Mahal) built by the Bagale Thapa family from the 1840's to 1900 spreading over 80 Ropanis.
Chandra Bridge eventually became obsolete for modern transport needs. A new bridge was built in 1968 with Indian aid. In 1991 the bridge sank down due to excessive sand extraction from the Bagmati. A temporary bridge was built to direct traffic during repair work and canalize the river flow towards the southern bank.